Friday, September 16, 2011

I am the Super Space Saver of the Universe.

I need a bigger hard drive. I have already gone through and uninstalled all the useless programs I don't need, combed through my Downloads folder and nuked everything that has been sitting there for the past three years (well, almost everything...I'm going to install Arena someday and someday I will actually get around to moving my eBooks to their proper eBook folder, I swear!), and now I am left with the glum realization that I still have more things than I have space to keep them in. I've run out of stuff that I am willing to sacrifice for the impending Skyrim/Revelations explosion.

It's okay, though, because I have found the solution, and it is a simple, elegant one that allows me to keep all my stuff.

I am compressing everything. Everything.

7.30 gigabytes of PSD files? It is now 3.46. 3.81 gigabytes of Oblivion saves? No problem, it has been pared down to 933 megabytes. 1.70 gigs of Fallout 3 saves? Yeah, right! Try 675 megabytes instead. Exactly one gigabyte of who even knows what in my Miscellaneous storage folder? Err, well, it's actually still about the same size. It would be less, but images don't compress very well and my blog folders live in there and Allegorical Dullness alone is creeping up on 300 megabytes.

However, compress as I might, the stupidity of my hard drive's partitioning means that it is still not enough. Thanks, ASUS, for taking a 300 gigabyte drive and splitting it in half. That was really smart of you! Assuming, of course, that your goal was to make my space management experience a frustrating and impossible one.

So, yes, I need a bigger hard drive. At the very least I need a new external drive to play musical files with, but a new hard drive would be better since then I would not have to uninstall Sims 2 in order to play Skyrim. Remember, if I am forced to uninstall Sims 2 there will be no new Pyramidopolis posts!

Huh? What do you mean there will be no new Pyramidopolis posts either way since I last updated it sometime in the 18th century?

Err, well, um...

Screw you, gentle reader! Stop hamstringing me with your logic!

No comments:

Post a Comment