Thursday, July 21, 2011

AutoCorrect

Badoopdoop, I have my writer's face on and am innocently typing away. Wait, OpenOffice, why are you attacking me with squiggly red lines?

Oh. You don't know what to make of this name. Well, I'll just add it to the dictionary so that you'll shut up and--wait, what are you suggesting as a correction for it?

Spellcheck4

Dyne. Wayne. Ankle. Lime. Lime. Wtf do ankles and limes have to do with this story?

"But stupid writerface," you say, "I'm just word processing software with an American dictionary! You haven't even updated me for a billion years! How could you possibly expect me to recognize a name like Santa Ynez?"

To this I point out:

Spellcheck3

Yes, you are word processing software with an American dictionary. And you can't even spell the name of the second most populous city in America.

Spellcheck2

You also can't spell "unbothered." In fact, not only have you proposed that I might want to change seemingly unbothered by the cold to seemingly bothered by the cold, you have modestly suggested that I ruin a coherent sentence by turning it into one of the following:

Seemingly untethered by the cold.
Seemingly ingathered by the cold.
Seemingly bothersome by the cold.
Seemingly unbridled by the cold.
Seemingly unburied by the cold.

Do you see the problem yet?

Badoopdoop, I have my writer's face on but before I can go back to typing I have a million custom entries to make in my dictionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment